Save $50 through June 30, 2017
Steve House and Scott Johnston, Uphill Athlete co-founders and co-authors of Training for the New Alpinism, invite you to join them in Chamonix in 2017!
Steve and Scott will co-lead a series of lectures, teaching climbing, alpinism, ski-mountaineering, and mountain run-specific training for the self-coached athlete. No prior experience with organized physical training is necessary. All fitness levels welcome. Classroom space is limited.
This 9-hour workshop is ideal for all mountain athletes wanting to improve. We will cover:
- The history of Uphill Athlete: how we know what we know and why we know it works.
- A brief history of endurance training
- Creating a relevant self-assessment
- Short and long term goals: Process vs. Outcome
- Proven methods of improving your aerobic capacity
- How to identify and train the fundamental qualities that make up your event
- Structural and functional training adaptations and why they matter.
- Understanding Transfer of Training concept to maximize your gains
- Specificity of training: When, where, and how to incorporate
- Understanding your aerobic rate-limiters
- Fat-adaptation and the endurance athlete
- Diet/training modifications proven to increase long-duration endurance performance
- Discussion of the scientific-consensus view of fat utilization during exercise
- Monitoring recovery and training status
- Fatigue and how to manage it
- Speed and its relation to strength
- Strength training for endurance and uphill athletes
- An endurance athlete’s approach to strength training
- Muscular Endurance Training: When and How.
- Administering your plan
- Specific workout design and programming
- Building individual daily workouts
- Building weekly and monthly workout plans
- How to program with purpose
- How elites train and what you should, and should not, copy from their training.
- Understanding performance studies from a coach/athlete point of view. (And why the coaches are always ahead of the scientists.)
- Real-world examples of a training program’s effect on two athletes: world-class cross-country skier, an Everest climber, and a US Navy SEAL
- An overview of lactate dynamics and importance of lactate for endurance athletes
- The endurance training cascade: What it is and how to apply it.
- Use of TrainingPeaks.com for planning, recording and analyzing workouts particularly for improvements in aerobic capacity and carried fatigue
- Understanding and measuring the effect a training session
- Understanding and measuring your recovery
- What (nearly all) strength/gym-based coaches don’t understand about training for mountain performance.
- Capacity Training vs Utilization Training: Concept and application.
- When and How to do high intensity training. Includes discussion of specific workouts.
- Understanding the concept of the anaerobic (or lactate) threshold and its relation to endurance
- How to do anaerobic threshold training. Includes discussion of specific workouts
CLASS TIME, LOCATION, & DETAILS
8:00 – 17:00
Mont Blanc Athlete
475 Avenue des Raches, 74190 Passy
Class will be taught in English.
Lunches will be available near the gym for purchase
Join us and change your mountain performance forever.