Weird Blood Lactate Readings?

• Creator
    Topic
    legume
    Participant

Hi everyone,

Today I administered an AeT blood lactate test on my girlfriend and we got some strange results. We were trying to reach the 2.0 mmol/L threshold but the lactate levels repeatedly cycled down and back up when intensity was increased. We stopped because we were way above what we think her AeT is supposed to be (137 bpm via HR drift test). Should we have kept increasing her HR to 165, 170 and etc? What was causing these ups and downs? Any suggestions on how to analyze the data or, if needed, how should we readminister the test?

She is 26 years old with a LTHR of 177 bpm via a 30-min field test. Her supposed AeT via HR drift test was 137 bpm. We performed the blood lactate test this morning after an overnight fast. No alcohol or caffeine was consumed within 24-hours and she performed a 20-min gradual warm-up. I had administered an AeT test to myself an hour before testing her and my data seemed normal. I also tested my Lactate Plus using the two control solutions within a week of testing.

I also attached the graph of the data.

0.8 mmol/L @Resting (73 bpm)
    1.4 mmol/L @115 bpm
    1.0 mmol/L @124 bpm
    1.5 mmol/L @134 bpm
    1.0 mmol/L @141 bpm
    1.6 mmol/L @143 bpm
    1.3 mmol/L @150 bpm
    1.7 mmol/L @155 bpm
    1.4 mmol/L @160 bpm

Thank you!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Participant
    legume on #43522

I just want to add that the run was done on a flat running track outdoors. Each test involved 4-5 minute intervals of running and the readings were taken well within 60 seconds of stopping. Thank you!

Participant
    Reed on #43560

Do you have the time-series data, like a link to a TrainingPeaks workout summary? I am curious whether performing this on a track impacted the test. Were those peak heart rates, or averages for each segment? Did her speed increase each time?

Access to a treadmill might be limited. If you re-do the test, perhaps do 2 laps of a 400m track, and focus on maintaining constant speed within each segment.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #43581

What Reed said!

P.S. If your testing lactate, you can ignore MAF, drift tests, etc.

P.P.S. If she is way on the slow-twitch end of the spectrum, her first inflection point may be below 2 mM. It’s not a hard and fast number.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.