Weight Vest Recommendations

• Creator
    Topic
    Jim Prager
    Participant

I’ve done the weight in a backpack thing, which has worked well for squats and box steps. However, it’s been uncomfortable for box dips, some core exercises, and short hill sprints.

I’d like to get an easily-adjustable weight vest. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,
    Jim

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #9766

I have a 35# Amstaff vest that works well enough. I’ve never used one otherwise though, so I can’t make any comparisons.

The one thing that I’d recommend is to order heavier than you think you need. I thought 35# would be enough, but I use it fully-weighted on occasion. It’d be nice to have the option of going heavier.

Participant
    Chris R on #9767

I use https://www.roguefitness.com/box-weighted-vest-black and am happy with it. Goes up to 45lb. I also like that it’s easy to add up to 10 lb without taking it off or unbuckling, which is great for consecutive sets with increased weight progression (e.g. pullups)

Inactive
    Anonymous on #9777

One thing that I wish the manufacturers would consider is the color. All the ones I’ve seen are black. From a distance, they all look way too paramilitary. In this day and age, I wouldn’t wear it anywhere near a school, church, etc.

Participant
    Jim Prager on #9811

Thanks for the recommendation. I decided to go with the BOX.

Scott – If you’re ever in the market for a new one, I was able to find them in a range of colors combined with black. Most companies seem to carry just black, camo, or brown/gray.

https://www.weightvest.com/50-lb-box-weight-vest/

Participant
    Robert on #9897

I use this model:

We have one each of the 40, 60, and 80lb versions which are jocularly referred to as the JV, Varsity, and Pro vests. They are primarily used for weighted pull-ups, weighted step-ups, uphill climbing muscular endurance sessions, and double pole roller skiing (which are also muscular endurance sessions). After 5 years of thrice-weekly use they have held up very well and I can recommend this product. Also each vest uses a different individual weight (e.g. for the 40lb it is 16 2.5lb weights, the 60lb is 15 4 lb weights, etc.) so if you have all three it is straightforward to slowly increase the weight in the vest by mixing in smaller weight increments as you approach your periodic maximum capabilities.

I’ve seen this vest model used by quite a few people around here on the foothills climbs- they are probably acolytes of Viesturs’ getting ready for some guided alpine ascent.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.