Wanting to make sure I’m doing this correctly

• Creator
    Topic
    jorgerobhernz
    Participant

So, I started running consecutively last fall when I moved to Utah. Started on a flat trail by the river and progressed to trails. The past couple months I’ve have been running around 20-25 miles a week. 2 five mile days during the week and then 1 ten+ mile day in the weekends. My pace was around 10-13 mins/mile depending on how difficult the trail was.

I just finished reading the book and decided to start right away today with the transition period at 20miles for the week 1.
    I used the MAF formula and came to:
    AeT- 152
    I ran today 2 miles at zone 2 on a flat road.

So now,
    1) i was supposed to keep my heart at highest 152, correct? (I was able to breath only through the my nose the whole time.)

2) for every exercise what I should care about the most is keeping my heart rate within whichever zone I’m working at right?
    So whether it’s running or walking I just care about the heart rate?

The reason I ask is because I’d rather be on a trail Instead of a flat road but, with the many inclines I may just walk a lot instead of run.
    Would there be a difference walking on lots of inclines as opposed to jogging the entire time on a flat road?
    Thank you for taking the time to help me. I apologize for this really long post

Posted In: Mountain Running

• Participant
    Shashi on #42613

Welcome to the forum.

You may want to go through this article on Aerobic-Anaerobic Self-Assessment first. Once you have your AeT and Ant, you can plan your workouts.

The zones you should target might be different depending on your aerobic capacity.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #42614

As Shashi said, it’s worth testing your actual thresholds and then you can ignore the MAF formula. It may or may not be accurate for you.

1) i was supposed to keep my heart at highest 152, correct?

Yes. Whether or not 152 is the right limit, base training uses your aerobic threshold as an upper limit. Bear in mind that heart rates are not precise, so 150 is fine, the 140s is fine, and as your aerobic capacity grows, the 130s will be fine. Just because you’re not at the desired limit doesn’t mean you’re wasting your time.

2) for every exercise what I should care about the most is keeping my heart rate within whichever zone I’m working at right?
    So whether it’s running or walking I just care about the heart rate?

Yes.

The reason I ask is because I’d rather be on a trail Instead of a flat road but, with the many inclines I may just walk a lot instead of run.

That’s normal.

Would there be a difference walking on lots of inclines as opposed to jogging the entire time on a flat road?

It depends on your goal event. For mountaineering or trail running, the variation in terrain is better, because it’s more specific to the goal event.

Participant
    jorgerobhernz on #42627

So for the decoupling test…

I I’m running at what i think is my aerobic threshold.

Do I maintain a specific pace (mins/mile)?

Or do I try and maintain my HR at the number I think is my aerobic threshold?

Participant
    jorgerobhernz on #42628

Wait Nevermind haha
    I reread it again. Keep the HR the same. Thanks guys!

Participant
    Shashi on #42629

You might find the discussion on this topic helpful –

Weird result from heart rate drift test (w/ chest strap hr monitor)

I did an AeT test recently on a track and I tried to maintain the pace for one hour and not the heart rate. It varied a bit but I think Pa:Hr should take care of the variation and calculate the drift.

I understand the instructions on the reference article for an outdoor AeT test might get confusing.

Participant
    jorgerobhernz on #42642

Aerobic threshold

So here’s my run today.
    I’m on my phone so if it doesn’t work.
    Duration; 1hr
    Distance: 4.75miles
    Avg HR: 153
    Avg pace: 12:51
    Pa:hr – 2.28%

Participant
    jorgerobhernz on #42643

Also that’s not negative 2.28%

Participant
    Shashi on #42648

I can’t see the screenshot. Can you share it again?

Participant
    jorgerobhernz on #42681

Ok I added it again as an attachment.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Participant
    Shashi on #42694

Assuming you did a 15-20 minute warm-up to get to an initial HR of around 146, it looks good to me. I am always conservative and would be comfortable using 145 as AeT and then redo the test in another six weeks.

Maybe Scott can review and share his thoughts.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #42696

Can you make the workout public and post a link? That way I can look at the averages between the halves.

Participant
    jorgerobhernz on #42698

Workout

I added the link

Inactive
    Anonymous on #42707

Excellent. Well done. ~2% drift, both by the TP calculations and the HR averages. So you can use ~155 as your AeT HR and/or do another test at ~160.

I would also do an anaerobic threshold test to find out the gap between the two.

Participant
    jorgerobhernz on #42708

Ok perfect. I’ll do the Anaerobic test tomorrow morning and upload my results.

What thank you both for being so helpful

Participant
    jorgerobhernz on #42798

So I just did the anaerobic test on a treadmill for 30 minutes.

It looks like my average hr was 174

So, if my aeT was 15

174 – 155 = 19

10% of 174 is: 17.4

So, do all of my training in zone right?

If that’s the case then, would I be able to do my recovery workouts in zone 2 as well?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.