Training Volume and General Strength Workouts

• Creator
    Topic
    Max
    Participant

Hi there,

As a beginner to organized training I have been using TftUA to create a plan and have some questions about how to include general strength and core workouts into the plan. Using the book suggested training hours I would fall into the 400 hours per 50 weeks. Starting the Transition Period at 50% that would put me at 4 hours per week of total training time. For strength and core I fall into the Stage 2 Workouts.

The first time I did a general strength workout (not trying to do an ME) I spent almost 15 min. of the total time in Z3 which would undermine the Z1/Z2 work I am doing to solve my ADS – keeping to Scott’s suggestion of 5% or less of time above AeT, I would have to be doing 5 hours a week of Z1/Z2 per strength workout to offset the time in Z3.

My primary goal right now is to reduce my ADS. I know strength training is also important. How do I reconcile these?

What HR Zone/s should I be in for these workouts?

Should I be including the time in each HR Zone in the training volume for the week?

Do you have any suggestions for how long strength workouts should take?

For planning purposes, should I be taking, for example, 4 hours minus 2x 1 hour general strength sessions, leaving 2 hours of Z1/Z2 workouts. Then increase just the Z1/Z2 time by x % per week? Strength training sessions stay the same length throughout the program but adding resistance.

Thanks for any input!

• Participant
    Max on #44087

“Should I be including the time in each HR Zone in the training volume for the week?”

-And-

“For planning purposes, should I be taking, for example, 4 hours minus 2x 1 hour general strength sessions, leaving 2 hours of Z1/Z2 workouts. Then increase just the Z1/Z2 time by x % per week?”

Correction: Sorry, missed that 400 hours was for aerobic time in TftUA.

Would still appreciate guidance on my other questions.

Participant
    Shashi on #44103

Max,

I don’t track my HR during Strength Workouts. I manually update Training Peaks with the workout time and TSS score based on the guidelines shared on Uphill Athlete. I track HR only for aerobic workouts. I believe this is the recommendation from the coaches as well.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,
    Shashi

Participant
    Max on #44139

Thanks Sashi,

I understand for strength workouts that HR is not a good indicator of either the stress or development that the workouts have on the muscles involved given that – I think – they are primarily engaging anaerobic pathways and not aerobic. The problem/question I have is about the negative side effects that strength workouts might have on aerobic base given that heart rates above Z2 do occur, and I my case (maybe others with ADS) for a significant portion of my overall aerobic training time – greater than 5%.

I don’t think ignoring heart rate during these workouts makes sense given the emphasis during all other training on making sure Z3 and above stays below 5% given the detrimental effects Z3 has on the aerobic system.

My guess is that I need to somehow adjust my strength workouts so that my heart rate stays below AeT, but that is my primary question.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #44384

Like Shashi said, it’s not necessary to record HR during strength sessions, but having HR in Zone 3 during a strength workout is normal. But the rests should be long enough that the time spent there is minimal.

Participant
    Shashi on #44254

Max,

I am aerobically deficient as well and understand your concerns.

These two forum topics might help answer your question.

ADS and Strength Training for Older Athletes

ADS and Strength Training for Older Athletes

Here is a snapshot of Scott’s response –

We use the strength methods mentioned in both our books during the base period even for those with severe ADS and we see good gains in aerobic capacity.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.