Training between events 8 weeks apart.

• Creator
    Topic
    Lou-H
    Participant

I’m starting 3 climbs in the next 7 days.
    All 19000 to 20000 peaks in Ecuador.

I did a 20 week program followed by a 2 week taper before my acclimatization hikes here in Ecuador.

What should I do in the 8 weeks after I return and before a EBC trek and Island Peak climb in Nepal?

Should I just maintain or try to construct a mini 8 week program.

I’m a reasonably fit 68 yo 165# 5’9″male with 2+ years focused just on rock and alpine climbing but still looking to improve. Mostly biking in the Blue Ridge for 3 years before that. Thankypu.

• Participant
    LindsayTroy on #49540

Quick question for you Lou, are you needing to build fitness in that 8 week period or maintain fitness?

Participant
    Rachel on #49565

Here’s a thread that answers a similar question: recovery maintenance between trips

Participant
    Lou-H on #49610

Maintain mostly but any increase in ME would be good.
    My aerobic capacity seems pretty good at altitude. The Island Peak climb will be a little more strenuous perhaps.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #49938

Mmm… right now you should focus on the trip you’re on.

Then, when you’re back, take a week off to think about how to approach the next objective.

Participant
    Lou-H on #50089

I am back ….after horrendous weather on all 3 climbs. Our 6 member team had only 3 summits out of 18 possible. Cold, wind and snow but what a great adventure.

I had a long taper before hand (a little bit of a cold) and I’ve not exercised in 5 days now.
    I had a slight decline in ‘mojo’ over the three climbs but nothing too noteworthy. I did need focused recovery on the day after each climb. I will now focus on maintaining/building aerobic capacity and some ME. I will say my calves are gorgeous now.

All comments/suggestions are appreciated.

Thank-you.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.