Stacking workouts and fat metabolism

• Creator
    Topic
    Mariner_9
    Participant

From TFNA: “Stacking this [low intensity, long duration] workout on the back of the more intense one [the previous day] is thought to have the desirable effect of enhancing fat metabolism”

I’m looking for some more detail about the above quote – why does stacking benefit fat metabolism, and should we try to schedule our training to target this effect? e.g. do an easy Z1 run the day after doing a Muscular Endurance workout? Any references/pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks!

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #5924

Mariner;
    Sorry for the slow reply. Steve and I have been in Chamonix for our workshop.

By stacking longer aerobic workouts back to back you start the second workout in an even deeper glycogen depleted state which has a powerful stimulus on increasing the aerobic capacity and fat metabolism.

Doing a longer Z1 after an ME is smart for aerobic restoration after the hammering you gave your legs in the ME workout. This speeds recovery and maintains that aerobic base.

Scott

Participant
    Mariner_9 on #5960

Thanks, Scott, much appreciated. I didn’t realize how long it took the glycogen stores to rebuild.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.