Specific Period…I've been carrying too much weight?

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

4 training weeks to go for Tahoma/Rainier/DC. I mock packed today (+1L water and food) and it turns out my gear is way lighter than I thought (25lbs). Much of that is b/c I’m climbing with a guide (no tent, pad, stove) as neither myself nor my 2 partners have been on a glacier before. Anyway.

All of this training was done when I thought my pack would be ~ 35lbs. This week (15) I did a day of 4400′ gain with 40lbs in 5 hours (including going back down; the trail is only 1100′ gain). I felt fine enough to do 4.5 hours of Z2 rolling terrain hiking with 30lbs over the next 2 days (no rest days).

Last week I did the same 4400′ with 36lbs but was sore so only did 3hrs of same hiking with 18lbs.

I’m now (Wk 17) to plan to do (among other things) “one big day…100% of the vertical…carrying 50% of the weight” so you can see my “problem.” I don’t think it makes sense to work less hard/carry less weight than I have been (I don’t feel overworked, I’m eating well, sleeping well). I also feel some conflict between aiming for (by week 20) 7000′ gain with 40lbs (based on everything I’ve absorbed here I feel like planning for back to back 5k’ days with 30-35lbs is a better idea). The DC route is basically 4,500’/day x 2 days right?

Advice?
    -Arthur

Posted In: Mountaineering

• Participant
    Rachel on #21864

Are you sure you don’t have to carry a tent? There is usually shared gear, even on guided trips, which gets divvied up right before you leave. I remember on my AAI trip up Mt Baker the shared gear really added to the weight of the pack. Plus all the mountaineering gear like crampons, ice axe, harness, helmet, etc. all add weight.

Participant
    Rachel on #21865

Sorry, I just realized you probably are staying in a climber’s hut on Rainier! my bad. When I climbed it we went up Ingraham glacier.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #21866

Yea I’m almost embarrassed to (need to) be training for something that’s (gear wise) a glorified day hike. I’m new to formal training but I’m experienced with backpacking and climbing and I have my systems pretty dialed. 25 pounds is my pack as if “starting at Paradise” (mid layers, hardgear, 1L water and food for 1.5 days). Without needing shelter really I’m just packing a sleeping bag, food/water, and the clothes I’ll eventually be wearing en route to the summit. They don’t even want me/require me to bring minitraxion/prussiks (just 1 triple locker). No approach shoes (TBD based on weather). I’m trying to ignore the bonus of a lighter than expected pack; I don’t want to get off track with training in any direction (too much or too little).

Participant
    sam.ley on #21939

I’m still intermediate at all this, but I’d suggest that you continue with the weight progressions, even if it is more than you need for your objective. I’d read “50% of the weight” as a more general “less than you COULD carry, but more than is comfortable”. As long as you aren’t overtraining, and feeling good, then might as well keep getting more fit.

No one ever completed an objective saying, “I was just too fit/strong/healthy!”

Inactive
    Anonymous on #21990

@afwang1:

Sam.ley is right. You can never be too fit for a climb. If these weighted carries are not trashing you for 3 days afterwards then keeping the progression in the mix will benefit you.

Do give yourself at least a 10 day taper before the trip. Drop the weight hikes during that and start reducing the basic aerobic volume each day a little during the last 6-7 days.

Scott

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.