Shortened Base Period

• Creator
    Topic

Hello,

Apologies if this has been posted before– I’m sure questions like this must get asked frequently, but I searched and nothing came up. Due to a bad bout of Dengue Fever and a few other issues, my Base Period has had to be shortened to about 9 weeks. I’m climbing Mount Elbrus via the South Route in June, so it’s a non-technical objective.

Should I just follow the first 9 weeks in the base period as prescribed (muscular strength)? Or should I also try to squeeze in some muscular endurance training? Any other advice for making the best out of the remaining 4 weeks that I have?

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #22088

Michael:

Sounds like you’ve had a tough go. I hope you are recovered. If you are completely well I would definitely add in some Muscular Endurance workouts in the these final weeks. While your base has probably eroded you do not have time to rebuild it and you do need to do some harder endurance oriented work to prepare for the climb.

Try to keep the base volume (Zones 1-2) high during these weeks as well. You may surprise yourself at how well you bounce back. But you’ll want a taper of a week from your last ME workout before the climb.

Scott

Inactive
    Anonymous on #22089

Michael:

Sounds like you’ve had a tough go. I hope you are recovered. If you are completely well I would definitely add in some Muscular Endurance workouts in the these final weeks. While your base has probably eroded you do not have time to rebuild it and you do need to do some harder endurance oriented work to prepare for the climb.

Try to keep the base volume (Zones 1-2) high during these weeks as well. You may surprise yourself at how well you bounce back. But you’ll want a taper of a week from your last ME workout before the climb.

Scott

Participant
    michaelrichardmcbride on #22158

Thanks for the input Scott! These forums are so amazing, can’t believe you respond to so many questions personally. It’s really evident how much you and Steve care about the community that has arisen around you.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.