Sauces/Seasonings for Stir Fry

• Creator
    Topic
    Zuko
    Participant

My dinners are typically a meat (chicken/beef/tofu) with a bunch of veggies in a stir fry over quinoa. I’m looking for suggestions on making my own sauce though. All the store bought ones have tons of sugars and chemicals. I’m looking for more than just dump a bunch of soy sauce on my plate.

What is everyone using? Thanks!

Posted In: Nutrition

• Participant
    TerryLui on #33103

Try this:
    1/4 cup honey
    2 tbsp cider vinegar
    2 tbsp grainy Dijon mustard
    1 tsp minced garlic
    1 tsp Herbes de Provence
    1 tbsp cornstarch
    Salt & pepper

Cook desired protein until it’s nearly finished (2-3 min from being done). Turn heat down to simmer, add sauce, stir and heat until desired consistency.

Serve w/ veggies & quinoa 🙂

I like to cook my veggies separately from the protein as they have different cooking rates and I like to taste the “veggie flavor” vs having it blended in w/ the “protein flavor”

FYI The above recipe was taken/inspired from this book – https://www.amazon.com/Looneyspoons-Collection-Good-Food-Health/dp/1401941966

Participant
    landers2189 on #33275

miso sweet potato and broccoli bowl

the bowl is delicious, but the sauce is magic. Can be used on any combo of grains/veg you want.

the run fast eat slow cookbook also has a killer peanut sauce

Rebecca Dent on #33633

Hi Sandrock06,

Great question with some nice ideas already from the responses!

I’m always racking my brains when cooking/providing menu examples for the custom nutrition plans for sauces/dressings.

When it comes to sauces/dressings, this is a great time to add more nutrients to your meal. Your food choices already sound great.

Some ideas;

Fresh herbs E.g. Coriander, parsley, basil, dill, fennel, garlic, mint

(The green herbs are packed full of nutrients such as calcium, iron and antioxidants so I would encourage adding plenty into your sauce/dressing or even just sprinkling on the top of your quinoa dish with a dollop of greek yoghurt/quark/dairy free yoghurt and squeeze of lemon/lime juice).

Spices: E.g. Turmeric, curcumin, cumin, chilli, fresh ginger, paprika, pepper

(you can make up a delicious marinade using mint, yoghurt, turmeric and paprika to coat meats/tofu/veggies to roast in the oven)

Nuts and seeds: E.g. Linseeds (aka flaxseeds), chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts, cashews, pistachios etc

(I always suggest adding a dessertspoon of seeds or nuts to the top of oatmeal/yoghurt/salads/stews to add flavour and bite. You can mix seeds in with any sauces and dressings or you can blitz in a blender or pestle and mortar to make a paste (just add a little olive oil and herbs for extra flavour). These all provide a great source of healthy fats, antioxidants, protein, fibre and vitamins/minerals.

Other additions;

Lemon/lime juice (full of vitamin C and antioxidants), pomegranate (amazing in salads/dressings), parmesan cheese (this is a high protein cheese and can be added to nuts/seeds and herbs to make a pesto).

Tahini paste can be used to make your own hummus/dips such as mixed bean dip, beetroot and pepper dips.

Landers2189 has already made a great suggestion of satay/peanut sauce

Pesto

Salsa

Yoghurt based sauces/marinades

Can also use honey/maple syrup/nut butters/olive oil/vinegar/mustard.

All of these sauces/dressings/dips can be made adding your own great nutritious ingredients and there are lots of recipes online on how to make your own.

Let us know what you make.

Rebecca – Uphill Athlete Dietitian

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.