Rusko challenges

• Creator
    Topic
    allan.xperia
    Participant

I have never really gotten anything useful from the Rusko test. When I stood up, the heart rate would rise and stay there forever.

Through the past days, I have experimented some more and perhaps found the reason:
    When I stand still, my heart rate is quite high, approx. 80 BPM.
    If I walk slowly around, my heart rate is lower, approx. 70 BPM.

So right now, my theory is that the “exertion” from just standing still is so high that it drowns the spike from the short work I do when I go from lying down to standing up.

The workout in the link below shows one of these experiments:
    From 0:00 to 5:00, I stood still to establish a baseline HR for standing still.
    The heart rate was constant around 80. (The ripple seems to follow my breathing rate).

At 5:00 I lied down on the floor.
    I got a short spike from doing the movement to the floor, but after 25 seconds, I was at resting heart rate.

At 8:00 I rose up to standing position.
    My heart rate went back to the 80 BPM baseline and stayed there for 7 minutes until I ended the test. There may have been a short spike of some seconds when rising from the floor, but it is hidden in the ripple from my breathing.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3657495218#.XN_HEeox6Lk.link

Is this normal? And what would be the best approach to a reliable test?

I have been thinking about replacing the standing still part with walking, since that apparently gives me a lower heart rate, so the spike and subsequent fall from rising up may be more clear.

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #22229

I’ve used an orthostatic (Rusko) test almost daily for a couple years. Although the most conservative and hardest to interpret, I think it’s the method with the least chance of false positives. It’s the least likely to cause overtraining.

Orthostatic test results are highly personalized, but when I’ve had similar results–a heart rate that doesn’t decline after the initial standing spike–it usually means that I need more recovery.

It’s really important to establish a series of baseline results during a recovery week. Did you start using the test during a build week by chance?

Inactive
    Anonymous on #22284

Allan

I do not think there is anything unusual about having a 10 beat difference between standing and lying.

Scott

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.