Recommendation for indoor training

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi. For the last 16 months I have been dealing with ankle and knee problems from a ski accident. One surgery is done, maybe another to come, it’s too early to tell.

I bought a Concept Two ski ergometer to maintain some fitness and sanity. It’s a great machine–you can really get a good upper body and aerobic workout without taxing your legs too much.

Now I’m thinking about getting a more “leg-oriented” machine to pair with the ski ergometer. I’m considering a cycling ergometer, a treadmill, or an incline treadmill.

Right now, this would be a device for rehab, and to maintain some fitness. Later, when/if my leg heals, it would be for more intense training.

My feeling is that a cycling ergometer would probably give me the lowest-impact most-efficient rehab. Any ideas on solid, durable cycling ergometers? The Life Fitness “IC” series looks not bad.

One problem is that in the past cycling has irritated my knee/knee extension muscles. Walking/hiking seems to irritate my knee less, hence my interest in treadmills.

Do the Nordic Track incline trainer work? I’m 90 kg…how stable are those machines? The front of the treadmill does not appear to be supported by anything…is that a potential issue? Any other options for stable, solid treadmills with some incline function (does not need to go to the highest grades).

I also have no need of all the fancy digital interface stuff. I could do without the interactive screens, but that seems impossible to avoid these days.

Any input appreciated.

Bruno

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #28611

Bruno:
    Take a look at this article: It shows one of my XC skiers using the C2 Skierg in conjunction with the NordicTrack incline trainer.

That’d be your best use of the two machines. Id cycling hurts your knees then I wouldn’t recommend a cycle ergometer.

The NT incline trainer is not the most robust piece of equipment but I will work for home use up to 120KG they say. Scott Semple and I both have these and while they have some minor irritations they function well enough. If you really want a good incline trainer then you need a Woodway but they are 4-5 times the cost of the NT.

Scott

Participant
    carterericksonut on #28995

I agree with Scott. If you’re already rehabbing then I would not invest in something that has cause you pain in the past. If you’re looking to go with legs I’d probably say incline trainer is your best bet.

Only downside is they don’t fold like treadmills do, but the difference in 12% incline on a treadmill vs 40% on the incline trainer is massive.

Read around on stuff here that helps explain what they’re good at and what they aren’t good for and see if it’s up your alley.

Nordic Track Incline Trainer

I think the only differences in the NT incline series is the size of the screen, but I could be wrong.

– Scott, which one do you have?

Participant
    wikiarchives16 on #39696

In continuation to Carter, I would recommend nordictrack x22i for bigger screen size and more features.

I am using this beast from last 4 months and I can say that I am more than happy with this machine.

Participant
    Nick K on #39730

My wife and I just got an NT incline trainer a couple months ago, the base model with the 11″ screen. We have not bothered with the subscription service that comes with it, and use it entirely in manual mode.

We’re both super happy with it so far (and so are our dogs), and it is a pretty robust machine. I have noticed some belt slippage at high inclines (>25% with a human using it, the dogs don’t seem to see much slippage, or at least they haven’t complained about it) and I’m around 80kg these days. I honestly think that past 25%, box step ups are probably a better use of time and energy, but that may depend on your typical trail and approach situation.

I also have a C2 Bikeerg, which I absolutely love for bonus Z1 and recovery sessions. The only downside to that machine that I’ve found is that the seat angle adjustment is ridiculously finicky, especially if you’re used to actual bikes. I do wonder if your past issues with bike sessions are related to improper fit? I have no idea your level of experience with bikes and fit, but it can make a huge difference.

I wrecked my ankle skiing a couple years ago (dislocated in external rotation, destroyed the syndesmotic ligament, broke my fibula up high) skiing, and retained my sanity with bikeerg and hangboard sessions. I think the bike is a really good complement to load bearing activity for rehab, as it seemed to find some extra bits of ankle ROM that weren’t hit by running or walking. And of course you can give the poor ankle a break from load bearing and still gain aerobic fitness.

Anyway, if you only get one, I think the question is what are the other resources available to you? We got the bike first, because it filled a good gap for me during a period of injury. We got the treadmill more recently to make up for the challenge of getting in vert during busy work weeks.

Participant
    ilbuiz on #39826

Hello there, considering indoor training options as well.

Has any of you experience with the ski machine from nordic track?
    https://www.nordictrack.com/classic-pro-skier

I saw some second hand deals for it, but I wonder if it is just crap (like a magnetic rowing machine wrt a concept 2 rower)

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.