Physiological long term investment for SF success

• Creator
    Topic
    stevo2224
    Participant

Hi all.

First and foremost I’m a ‘climber’. For me that means I love and do anything that involves going up and my primary goal for around 8 years has been growing in this area over all varying technicalities of terrain. My average activity/training mainly resembles about (60-70%) of one of your ultra running plans, plus maybe a couple of strength or pack sessions from a big mountain program (so a bit more generalised because I do lots of different things) and I also boulder/trad climb/swim/surf on top of this. I follow a lot of the principles but often resist the specificity of an exact program due to my general interest.

Secondary to this, and that’s a close second, is my long term preparation for SF selection/service. This focus has been growing slowly and so far had dovetailed somewhat easily into my current activity given that I do a decent amount of stuff on hills and sometimes with pack loads. At some point over the next year or two I would ideally like to sacrifice some specificity to my climbing growth so about half of my weekly activity is focussed for SF preparation. The actual selection/training is maybe three years away which seems far. But my life revolves around being active and it is no burden for me to begin to introduce preparation this early.

The events/activities that must be prepared for take place over a year or so with 2 days a week of tested uphill running, some body weight circuit local endurance stuff and most importantly pack marches sometimes at speed up hill at a threshold level and then other times for 10-40hours.
    There are also focussed blocks where this all happens back to back for around a week to a fortnight – usually days of the long pack marching back to back. For the majority of the activities, pack weights are generally 25-35kg.

The most likely possible reasons for failure for me would be:
    1. Overuse injury Stress fracture/Tendonitis etc.
    2. General recovery between events
    3. Poor nutrition and drained energy due to enforced reduced diet and sleep deprivation
    *The main thing to note is that I essentially already have the fitness for the singular events involved in the selection but the biggest challenge is being abled to back them up. The overall process is if anything testing how a person can recover.

That’s the context. Long winded sorry! 🙂 I have really just one question but thought all that context would be helpful.

My question is: What traits could be introduced as training foci that would be the best long term investments to succeed for my SF goal? Given that the the fitness requirements for each individual event are not far out of reach for me at the moment and the collective greater challenge is winning in the game of recovery.

The reason I’m asking Uphill Athlete this question is because I think you lot have the best grasp of the most important theory underpinning endurance training. Much training advice relating to SF seems to me to have not enough volume in Z2 or hardly ever discusses fat adaptation etc.

Thanks for reading all the way through!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.