Performance loss through warmth

• Creator
    Topic
    Dada
    Participant

Hi Thomas,

It’s me again 😉

I’m so vulnerable to warmth and heat and that is so frustrating. During the cold winter months I’m the best of my group. Then every year end of February/beginning of March, I lose performance within days. In July, it is the worst. The people I’m guiding can do the hut approach by chatting while my HR is at 180 and perceived effort is so hard. As soon as we start in cold temperatures, I’m almost back to normal and way better than my participants. In July, my resting HR is always elevated. And I looked at my stress values from my Garmin while I’m in the bathtub. Before and after low values of 25 (from 100) and when I’m in the bathtub it spikes to 75. So there is a sign of stress to my body.

I tried to solve that issue with my doctor and a endocrinologist but so far no signs for an underlying issue. I have allergy against grass and rye which spans from April to September peaking in May (and not in July which the elevated resting HR indicates).

I’m pretty desperate about that because people with 4 hours a week perform better in July than me with around 12 hours. That is so disappointing.

What could be a reason and how can I get better at heat?

Grüße
    Dada

Thomas Summer, MD on #52470

Hi Dada!

I’m sorry, but there is no special bonus for the guy with the most problems;-)

Sounds like you already did a lot of investigation. Good that your docs didn’t find any underlying issue.

What comes to my mind is:
    – fluid- and electrolyte balance. Are you drinking enough? Or too much? Do you get enough minerals? How much do you sweat?
    – if you are a big guy that could be a problem. Especially if comparing to smaller persons
    – heat is something the body can adapt to:
    https://www.irunfar.com/2018/06/handle-the-heat-heat-acclimation-for-endurance-running.html

You can adapt to the heat, that’s for sure. But it’s hard for me to guess any specific reason for your problem. Especially, if you already saw an endocrinologist.

Maybe my suggestions can lead in a direction, or you find something useful in the article?!

But the most important thing against the heat is a cold Tegernseer;-)

Prost!

Participant
    Dada on #52490

Hahaha, and I didn’t even mention the renal insufficiency here… 😉

The most important question though. Can I drop off the Tegernseer at the hospital you working at? I might be in your town mid of April (in case the universe let me do the Berner Alps Traverse…).

I’m drinking generally a lot. 3l a day. Not so much on tours. I’m avoiding plain water. Always put in some sodium. In summer I sweat a lot.

And the deterioration appears within 10 minutes (e.g. switching from shadow onto the sunny side).

I’m 185cm, so not too tall I guess and my fellas are pretty much the same size.

I know that article, and trying to work on that but it is also very frustrating.

Thx again
    Dada

Thomas Summer, MD on #52494

The renal insufficiency may be a contributing factor. But it’s interesting that you get the deterioration within 10min.
    Why are your kidneys insufficient?
    You could do a sweat test if you suspect that there is a connection to your increased sweating!?

We can decide where you drop the bear in your next question;-) at the moment I’m not sure if I’ll be in Vorarlberg or in Bavaria in mid April.

cu
    Thomas

Participant
    Dada on #53155

So, tmr I will be traveling through your town. Should I drop off some beer?

Thomas Summer, MD on #53157

Hey Dada!

to drop it off could be difficult. and I’m not sure if it’s a good idea for me to write here “sure, let’s meet for a beer tomorrow..”;-)
    I think it’s best to meet when things get better and then have a beer together at the lake.
    I’ll not forget about it, and I’m looking forward to your next question;-)

zum Wohl!

Participant
    Dada on #62232

Servus Thomas,

Hope you still do great since my last question ?

I have a follow up question on this topic since it happened again.

I was trying Jubiläumsgrat on Sat. Conditions:
    – Around -1°C at summit
    – no wind
    – a lot of sun

We started from Zugspitze. The first 15 minutes were great and I felt strong. Then I started to develop orthostatic dysregulation: dizziness, issues to remain concentrated, high pulse, black outs after switching from climbing to standing upright, weakness, sweating. Of course, we had to turn around.

I was properly fueled and had been drinking properly before.

I suffer from high blood pressure in the morning, and therefore take Candesartan after waking up. The day before, I took Methylphenidat as a treatment for ADD and in the mornings I take Moclobemid (not a Triglyceride based med) as a leftover from a depression (but at the lowest possible dose since I’m symptom free and can fade out these mads slowly).

Generally, when I go to a sauna, my HR will rise to 150bpm, and I get anxious from being in there. When I take baths, my Garmin watch detects high levels of stress when I’m in the bath tube.

What would you suggest to prevent this from happening?

Should I see a doctor and what should I tell him/her? Could you even recommend a colleague in Munich?

Cheers
    Dada

Thomas Summer, MD on #62286

Hi Dada!

It was probably quite hot!? Did you protect yourself from the sun enough? What are you drinking? Ebough sodium?
    As I mentioned before: you can train the heat adaptation.
    In terms of seeing a MD. I would recommend doing regular sportmed checkups with spiroergometry, once to twice a year. And describe your problems there. It’s good to do these checkups at the same place every time. So that you can compare the results. There are a couple of good ones in Munich.

I hope that helps!?

lg!
    Thomas

Thomas Summer, MD on #62287

Hi Dada!

It was probably quite hot!? Did you protect yourself from the sun enough? What are you drinking? Ebough sodium?
    As I mentioned before: you can train the heat adaptation.
    In terms of seeing a MD. I would recommend doing regular sportmed checkups with spiroergometry, once to twice a year. And describe your problems there. It’s good to do these checkups at the same place every time. So that you can compare the results. There are a couple of good ones in Munich.

I hope that helps!?

lg!
    Thomas

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.