Pacing at race day (HR, Pace or Power?) – whats your recommendation?

• Creator
    Topic
    Marcel
    Participant

Hi Scott & all,
    your fantastic book already gave me lots of insight – big thanks for this!

additionally, i would be interested in learning what you would recommend regarding pacing at race day for trail running at HM distance? would you just go “all out”? focus on HR? would power (Stryd) be a measurement you can recommend?

Regards,

Marcel

• Participant
    Dada on #46081

It was discussed here earlier How fast do I run on race day?

But no conclusion reached.

Dada

Participant
    Marcel on #46128

Hi Dada,
    thanks for the link! It sheds some light on the topic. Nonetheless, i am still wondering why there is only comparatively little information regarding race strategies compared to the very detailed training philosophies which fill the bookshelves…?

Participant
    Dada on #46146

What I did for me:

Are you familiar with the FTP Charts in cycling?
    I tried to compute something similar for me using running.

I used the variables distance (x) and HR (y) to pinpoint my known average heart rates for PBs over certain distances and interpolated the average HR for the distances in between. I set my AeT at the marathon distance.

Another hint would be to use golden cheetah and some addon to measure (stryd)/calculate (Garmin plugin) power. Golden cheetah is then calculating FTP based on power and time (even better than distance in my example).

Best regards
    Dada

Participant
    Marcel on #46187

Hi Dada,
    i am not familiar with them yet but will read into it during the next couple of days – thanks for the hint! therefore, i am interested to learn how you made those adoptions to (trail) running.

regards,
    Marcel

Participant
    Dada on #46191

Yes, that’s where I see the biggest problem with my approach using distance on flat. I interpolated the flat running time to the trail. Example:

Had a trail race where I guessed to run an hour, so I took my AnT-HR.

So I basically, took flat distance, converted that to running time and looked up the aasciated HR.

So events
    – up to an hour -> AnT
    – from hour to 4 hours -> Interoplation between AeT and AnT
    – when there is a PB for 21k then using that as an intermediate indicator for the 21k PB time

Best regards
    Dada

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.