Overlap of calculations with AeT test and HRmax test

• Creator
    Topic
    lipej.luka
    Participant

Thank you for the great content on the website and the books! I greatly appreciate it.
    I’m a 25 year old male.

First I tested my HR-max as described in the TFTNA book with my new HR-monitor and got a reading of 180 bpm. From that value I calculated my HR-zones.
    Today I did the DIY outdoor AeT test as described here The reading I got is 146 bpm.
    According to ‘uphillathlete’ the upper end of HR-Zone2 is the same as AeT (Aerobic Threshold).
    In my case according to calculations from HR-max –> 180bpm*0,8= 144bpm

Both tests were performed on the same hill. I did not expect to actually get the same reading from both tests since I use a relatively cheap HR-monitor. This came as a nice surprise.

The reason I wrote this here is to maybe get some feedback, comments or anything of the sort. Maybe I am missing something or can receive new valuable information.

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #39235

I wouldn’t trust a self-directed test of maximum heart rate. It would be very, very difficult to get an accurate result. It’s hard enough to go to a true maximum in a lab.

But the good news is that you don’t need to know. If you’re testing your actual thresholds, then maximum heart rate is irrelevant. Here’s a rough hierarchy for establishing training zones. Whatever level you are on in the hierarchy, you can ignore everything below:

1. A gas exchange test
    2. A lactate test
    3. DIY anaerobic and aerobic threshold tests
    4. MAF
    5. Generic formulas (of which MAF is one…)

You’re comparing numbers 3 and 5 which won’t help you. Now that you’ve tested one of your thresholds, you can ignore the generic formula. It doesn’t tell you anything other than it’s a coincidence.

Participant
    lipej.luka on #39280

Thank you for your reply Scott Semple!
    I will stick to the reading I got with the DIY outdoor AeT test and calculate my training zones from it.
    I intend to also do the DIY outdoor AneT test and do further calculations with those values.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.