Nose Breathing for AeT Test

• Creator
    Topic
    copeland.brandon
    Participant

Hey Folks,

Wondering what is really considered the top end of nose breathing for the AeT test. Is it physically not being able to nose breathe? Is it just being really “loud”? It seems so subjective I’m trying to get a better sense of how heavy the breathing should be to successfully know your at AeT.

For me, the difference in “heavy” nose breathing and not being able to nose breathe is 10+ bpm, so doing it right will make a big difference for me on my AeT test.

Thanks!

-Brandon

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #25919

Brandon:

The use of nose breathing as a marker for the aerobic threshold came about after years of testing well trained XC skiers. I began to notice that the upper limits of comfortable nose breathing (upper limits of conversational-speaking in complete, long sentences) corresponded almost exactly with a blood lactate of 2mMol/L, a concentration often considered as indicative of ones AeT. This in turn corresponded well with what exercise science calls the First Ventilatory Threshold or VT1. VT1 shows up in the data collected during a gas exchange treadmill test. At VT1 the both the rate and depth of ventilation makes a noticeable jump (your lungs are pumping significantly more air).

When Steve and I started using the nose breathing/cpomversation test on less well endurance trained folks we discovered that the nice correlation I have noticed in my skiers broke down. We tested folks and heard from many more who could nose breath to crazy high heart rates. Since that time I have asked several sports scientists about this but still have not heard a good answer.

This is why we suggest the HR drift test as detailed in article by the same name. It takes the subjectivity out of determining AeT.

Scott

Participant
    copeland.brandon on #25926

Thanks Scott. In that case I have many files where I have 60 minutes of moderate level hiking (Mt. Si). As an example, for a hike a few weeks ago, ascended Mt. Si for roughly 1 1/3 Hours at an easy/moderate pace. If I consider the first 1/3 hours a warm up and look at the decoupling for the next hour, it’s 4.35% at an average HR of 141. I’ve been using 146 as my AeT previously. Does this sound like a reasonable AeT given these numbers?

Participant
    copeland.brandon on #25985

Scott, here’s a shot of my file for reference.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Inactive
    Anonymous on #26141

Yes 140ish looks like a reasonable place to peg AeT for now.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.