More Books! Where to next!

• Creator
    Topic
    owenriverk
    Participant

Books! Ive just read TFtNA for the second time and am fascinated by the methodology behind training. Instead of just buying the random books off amazon i want to know what other uphill athletes have liked in the past. All options are awesome! Let me know what you liked and learned from! Theory, diet, all of it! Thanks all!

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #39538

TOP FIVE:

* The Science of Winning, by Jan Olbrecht (yes, it’s a swimming book)
    * The Science of Running, by Steve Magness
    * A Scientific Approach to the Marathon, by Renato Canova
    * Modern Training & Physiology, by John Davis (a good primer for the Canova book)
    * The Rock Climber’s Training Manual, by the Anderson brothers

Inactive
    Anonymous on #39539

Eeesh. Almost forgot one:

* Special Strength Training: A Manual for Coaches, by Yuri Verkhoshansky

Inactive
    Anonymous on #39542

Dang it, Scott beat me to it for most of my favorites! If you’re a runner, Lore of Running by Tim Noakes is a must read (though it’s a doozy to get through), as well as his Waterlogged book. The Champion’s Mind by Jim Afremow, and Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald are also good. If you’re interested in movement/mechanics at all, Anatomy Trains by Thomas Myers is mind blowing. Running Rewired and Anatomy for Runners both by Jay Dicharry are also great resources for geeky runners like me. Fun question!

Participant
    depeyster on #39545

After reading and rereading TFTNA and TFTUA a few times, I couldn’t get enough. I enjoyed Tudor Bompa’s Periodization Training for Sports. Scott Johnston mentions Bompa in the acknowledgements of one of the books, I think it was TFTNA.

Uphill Athlete is mentioned in Alex Hutchinson’s book Endure, but I did not find the book helpful.

Participant
    owenriverk on #39546

Wow! Thanks for so many great responses! I check them out and start reading them over one-by-one!

Participant
    Reed on #39600

The recommended readings in the back of Training for the New Alpinism is a great start. See attached for a bunch more books that have come across my radar. In addition to the ones mentioned already, I would add Travell & Simons’ book on myofascial pain and dysfunction as a very useful tool.

Participant
    Reed on #39603

Looks like attachments are limited to small files. Here’s a link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9vuoh1wtl9gct34/training_books.jpg?dl=0

Participant
    Bond on #39672

“How Bad Do You Want It” is the best Matt Fitzgerald book, dealing with the power of mental training and motivation in endurance sports. And it has some really excellent inspiration stories of athletes digging super deep, you can’t help but go for a great run after reading about Sammy Wanjiru at the Chicago Marathon. His “Racing Weight” book and the other ones with more specific physical training recommendations are good, but they’re not really appropriate for most of UA’s audience, better for 10k to marathon runners – they have more of an emphasis on short workouts and eating the carbs you need to fuel them.

Extreme Alpinism by Twight has some out of date info and TFTNA is better for training advice but it still gets you psyched.

Dan John writes great books though he’s more focused on track and field, olympic lifting, and football than anything endurance. I like Easy Strength and Never Let Go. His best stuff is less about specific training prescriptions and more about how to be a lifelong athlete, how to incorporate training into a healthy overall lifestyle, how to figure out what matters and what doesn’t (in training or otherwise), and just how to be a good person.

Happy Runner by David Roche is a good book about mental health in sports. It’s easy to get depressed when you get injured, or your race gets canceled, or you can’t send due to bad weather, or whatever. The book is all about how to keep a healthy relationship with sport. Grizzled and angsty alpinists might find it a little too lovey-dovey but it’s good.

Then stuff about how to be a better climber – Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain by Bruce Tremper, 9 Out Of 10 Climbers Make The Same Mistakes by Dave MacLeod, Alpine Climbing Techniques To Take You Higher by Cosley and Houston, Advanced Multipitch Climbing by Andy Kirkpatrick, The Self-Coached Climber by Dan Hague, The Mountain Guide Manual by Marc Chauvin, self-rescue books, etc etc etc.

Participant
    gloriarowl on #84367

Some time ago I found this thread and found about The Science of Winning, by Jan Olbrecht and The Science of Running, by Steve Magness. A few days ago I finished them, and can say that the books are amazing.
    Thanks for the recommendation!

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.