Mock Ice Tools for Training?

• Creator
    Topic
    ascasson
    Participant

Does anyone have a makeshift/mock option for ice tool hang exercises? I don’t currently have access to tools but want to stay on top of the training. Any advice or ideas would be appreciated!

• Participant
    rando_luke on #35156

If you can hang a bath towel over a pull-up bar or anything weight bearing then just use that, simple and effective.

Participant
    Dada on #35157

My carpenter made me copies of my ice axes. Some rubber tape around the tip and it works pretty fine.

Keymaster
    Steve House on #35163

Hey Anthony,
    MY high-school coach used to have us do towel-pull-ups. They really work the grip but I think I got elbow tendonitis from over-using that exercise, so be aware that having to grip that strongly while executing a pull-up puts a lot of strain on the elbow. Might be better just to hang from the gripped towel.

I think that you could also (a variation on @dada good suggestion) make something with PVC pipe, a few angles, and wrap the whole thing in athletic tape to have a vertically oriented shaft type thing to hold onto.

The other thing I travel with often is this

The Block

it’s lightweight (I used to bring Rock rings until they accidentally got left hanging from a hotel balcony near Venice!) These are much lighter than rock rings and arguably more versatile.

Hope you figure something out.
    cheers,
    Steve

Participant
    ascasson on #35223

Thanks everyone! This is extremely helpful.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #35270

These look like a good option as well: https://furnace-industries.com/about-dry-ice-tools

Participant
    dwpyle on #35272

A couple carpenter’s hammers on a pullup bar work great. A little rubber tape on the inside curve if you don’t want scratch your bar.

Participant
    vik.waghray on #35803

I recently got my hands on a set of the Torr Trainers from Hex Climbing: https://www.hexclimbing.com/product-page/t%C3%B8rr-trainers

I’d highly recommend them, and I think it’s worth supporting a company that makes such climbing-specific training materials!

Participant
    ascasson on #38700

Thanks vik.waghray and everyone – the Hex Torr Trainers have worked well for my skill level and limited gym resources. I can imagine more advanced training would benefit from full-blow tools and ample room for those specific exercises, but these can go a long way.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.