Interpreting gas exchange and lactate tests

• Creator
    Topic
    Argogma
    Participant

Hello,

can you please help me interpretating my test results?
    I am in week 7 of mike foots BIG VERT plan.

Last week I did a combined GET and Lactate test in the morning fasted.

Test protocol:
    Treadmill, 1% gradient
    Starting 5min with 1,6 m/s, increasing the speed +0,4 m/s every 5min.

Test result (March 2020):
    LT1: 160 bpm (2mmol lactate)
    VT1: 176 bpm (RER = 0,85)
    This result was pretty surprising, because the last test (June 2019) was the other way around:

Test result (June 2019) – same test protocol (but starting with 2m/s – in the afternoon)
    LT1: 171 bpm
    VT1: 149 bpm

My ANT from your test-protocol is: 181 bpm
    Can it be reasonable, that my fat adaption adjusted in 9 month? (Training nearly all the time at <150 bpm)
    How would you set the training zones?
    Do I have ADS (Do I take LT1 or VT1 for the calculation)?

This is how I would set my Zones, asuming I have ADS and will train in Zone 2:
    Zone 4: 182 – Max (~202 bpm)
    Zone 3: 161 – 181 bpm
    Zone 2: 145 – 160 bpm
    Zone 1: 128 – 144 bpm

Thanks a lot!
    Johannes

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Inactive
    Anonymous on #39572

Was the GET test done in a lab? If so, was it a PNOE machine?

Participant
    Argogma on #39576

Yes, both test were done in a lab with pnoe machine.

Participant
    Argogma on #39588

I think it was not a system of “www.mypnoe.com”, not sure if you meant this. It was as far as I can tell a normal gas exchange system with mask, which provides the information of how much O2 and CO2 are in my exhaled air (VO2, VCO2, RER=RQ).
    Attached you find the protocol with the data for each step.

Thanks 🙂

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Inactive
    Anonymous on #39594

Thanks for the clarification. Our head coach (Scott J.) tried a MyPNOE machine several times and didn’t get very good results. That’s why I asked.

I’ll ask Scott J. to look at this. He’s seen many more tests than I have.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #39597

Argogma:

Thanks for writing in to us with your questions. Scott Semple is correct that I tested a Pnoe and did not get useable results. But the results were so far off that there was clearly something wrong with the machine. The RER numbers dropped as intensity increased in the later stages of all the tests I ran even though blood lactate levels were going very high.

Your test on the other hand looks quite reasonable.

Yes, your fat adaptation can have improved that much in 9 months. Nice work.

Based on the data in the chart you attached to your post your 2mMolHR would be in the low 160s. Your 50/50 fat/carbs HR is around 175. We sometimes see this. Your fat adaption is has gotten much better but you AeT is still a bit low. I would train most of the easy distance days closer to 160.

However, if you find that doing this for several days in a row makes you too tired and you are not recovering well then you do not have ADS. Then you will need to shift to more training under 145-150 and add in some Z3 and 4 training.

I hope this helps.
    Scott

Participant
    Argogma on #39605

Thanks a lot!!
    160 bpm feels more like running, esp. on uphills 🙂 For the long runs this HR is a little bit to high, but for the other shorter ones this is great.
    I will stick to the Big Vert plan, 3 more weeks ME and after that Z3/4 work. Until then perhaps I will have a better feeling for the 160 bpm and the following recovery 😉

Once again thanks a lot, the training got much with your book (TFTUA) !!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.