HR drift test.

• Creator
    Topic
    coversall
    Participant

Hey everyone, hope this isn’t too boring a post, however, I would greatly appreciate some input on my HR drift test I took today. Mainly to get some feedback on my understanding of the process.

I set off and did a nice relaxed gradual warm up untill settling at a bpm of 130 and then held that, or as close to that as I could, for an hour.

TP gives the hour section a pa:hr of -0.9% so going off the little text that came with the training program I’m going to retake the test but stick to a HR ~5bpm higher.

Is there anything incorrect with my thinking? And any reason not to retake the test on Monday, ie after one days rest?

Many thanks.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Posted In: Mountain Running

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #46616

It looks like the test is well done. But you will get a better feel for AeT if the course you use is flatter. This one had 300ft of gain and loss.

If this is all you’ve got then I suggest retesting at 135.

Scott

Participant
    coversall on #46625

Thank you for the response! Yeah I’m very limited when it come to controlled terrain. I stuck to roads as much as possible to avoid the quagmire we have round here atm. I had a proper lab test lined up but as my country has now hit lockdown 2.0 it got shelved.

I will try the test again tomorrow at 135 and see what the results are like. After that I’ll scout out a flatter route.

Participant
    coversall on #46657

Had another crack at this today!

135 bmp was an odd pace so it took some concentration to keep it things there but it looks like I managed.

The 1 hour lap came out with a pa:HR of 1%, so I guess retest at 140?

Attachments:
    Inactive
    Anonymous on #46723

Retest or just go with 140 for now and retest in a few weeks.

Scott

Participant
    coversall on #46727

Brilliant!

Thanks again, I appreciate the guidance.

Participant
    coversall on #46830

The forum is telling my there’s a reply here by Diana, but I can’t see it?

Participant
    Diana on #46837

Hi there, I did reply, and for some reason it disappeared. I was actually piggybacking on your thread to see if one of the coaches would be willing to review my most recent HR Drift Test. The .zip file is attached. Please let me know if another format is preferred.

I thought this test went well. I used a low river grade trail with 42 ft. of gain over 5.1 miles, and was able to keep my heart rate in a small window for the full duration. According to this calculator (https://douglas-watson.github.io/aet-calc/) my Pa:Hr was .8%, so I plan to test again in the next couple weeks 5bpm higher. This would go in line with my hope that over this past summer I was able to raise my AeT 5bpm by way of running mostly in Z2.

I would love a coaches insight to see if my analysis is correct, since I do not have Training Peaks Premium to review it more fully. Thank you!

Attachments:
    Participant
    coversall on #46840

Just the file into TP for you, hope you don’t mind I can delete the post if you want! This is what it comes out with.

Participant
    coversall on #46843

Looks like you can only edit a post once? So I took the screen shot of your file down, I thought it wasn’t great to post it without your permission! Let me know if you’d like it! Maybe I’ve over thought this all.

Participant
    Diana on #46844

Thank you so much! I would love to see the file and I don’t mind if you post it. Thank you for being so considerate though.

Participant
    coversall on #46845

Cool! No trouble 🙂

Attachments:
    Participant
    Diana on #46847

Thank you for that! Looks like Training Peaks put out 1.42% for Pa:Hr, while the calculator gave me 0.8%. That’s helpful, so I think I’ll retest at 155 from 151bpm. Thanks again kind Sir! And best luck with your running endeavors.

Participant
    Diana on #46905

Today I did a retest to try to hit closer to my new AeT. Would you, coversall, or one of the coaches be willing to review and put into Training Peaks for me. Thank for very much 🙂

Attachments:
    Participant
    Diana on #46907

The calculator made by a UA participant gave me Pa:Hr drift [%]:7.6, but previously this calculator was a bit off of Training Peak’s, so I wanted to cross check it.

The results are interesting to compare to my test last week. A mean HR of 151 gave me 1.42% and a mean HR of 153 gave me 7.6%. That leads me to believe my AeT is about 152bpm currently, but I am surprised the Pa:Hr percentage jumped so much with such a small HR increase. Is this typical?
    Both tests went smoothly and were on the same course. I was also rested and fasted both times, so I believe they are comparable.

Participant
    coversall on #46958

Here you go 🙂

It seem TP calculates it all a bit higher!

I can’t speak on what causes the jump.

Attachments:
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.