How to track "mountain work?"

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi all-

I have a week in the middle of my training which involves some “uphill/mountain work.” 4-6 hours per day of rescue scenarios separate from but also including an AIARE 1 course for 5 days. It’s being done in Utah at a ski resort so “most of the uphill gain will be via ski lift” but still skinning/snowshoeing will be involved to access side/back country. I have a feeling there will be periods of high activity as well as lots of standing/listening.

I initially wasn’t going to count it but a story by Scott J regarding Steve H in TFtNA made me think twice. How should I track/categorize this data? Wear my HR monitor, track all my Zone data and multiply it by X?

For background my goal is Disappointment Cleaver on Rainier in June. I’d way lowballed my volumes so I’m trying to catch up.
    (Z1-2 totals, no strength included)
    2 weeks ago 4 hours
    1 week ago 6 hours
    This week 6.5 hours (feeling good, recovering well)
    Next week 8 hours
    Next week “Rest week” 4 hours (second half of this week conference starts, goes to mid of next week)
    Week after that, “consolidation week”: First half of this week @ conference; then back home.

The last two weeks are the ones of concern; how do you suggest volume planning? Thank you!

-Arthur

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #16558

Tracking intermittent work like this is really tough. What I’ve done with the Special Ops guys I work with when on tactical training days or missions is to wear the HR/GPS monitor for the full duration. Then make the best guess as to whether you need to use a fudge factor for elevation gain, weight of the pack, or somebody shooting at you (just normal shit like that).
    Combine this data input with your perception of fatigue from the day’s work. One thing I can say for sure but we can’t put a number on is this:

These days will make you tired but add minimally to overall fitness due to intermittent work. It be like playing 18 holes of golf. You probably get tired from this but it won’t make you a fitter climber.

But you need to track because it adds to the over all training stress and should be accounted for.

Scott

Inactive
    Anonymous on #16572

This is a big reason why I wish that Training Peaks would allow for an LSS (lifestyle stress score) adjustment on a daily basis. That way, fatigue could be adjusted without affecting the TSS.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.