Help interpretting second AeT test

• Creator
    Topic
    Brett
    Participant

On my first AeT test, my AeT HR came out to 145. It’s been a little over three months since that test so decided to do another one today to see how I’ve progressed. I did this on a TM at 3%.

I started recording when I thought my HR had stabilized, but found that it continued to climb for 8-10 minutes before steadying at around 160. I decided to record for an additional hour after this 8 minutes so the total test is 68 minutes. If I take the entire 68 minute test, I have a drift of 8.8% (173/159). If I start at 8 minutes in I get a drift of 6% (173/163).

Is it safe to say my AeT is now around 163? Or do I need to retest at a slower pace?

Test attached.

• Participant
    Brett on #36804

Here is link to test: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1381pAdOchtkw9qgRo8BhcCwm10VKcTWe

Inactive
    Anonymous on #36809

If you have a public link to a Training Peaks workout I can take a look.

As is, I would be a little more conservative and use 160 so long as the effort level felt similar to the first test. If so, well done!

Participant
    Brett on #36810

Didn’t realize I could link directly to the TP workout. Here you go!

http://tpks.ws/ST6LEDRUC5Z4CVWWOFCI2TP37U

Inactive
    Anonymous on #36828

Okay, thanks. That helps.

How long did you warm up before this test? I don’t really see a “steadying” of your heart rate after the first eight minutes.

It’s important to be well warmed up for these. The minimum is 15′. Personally, I prefer 20′.

Participant
    Brett on #36830

I warmed up for 20 minutes before starting the recording.

Participant
    death.jester on #36831

Isn’t the “drift” calculated between heart rate and pace (HR:PA), as described somewhere on the website [1], and not based on “start HR” to “end HR”?
    And because, your provided workout doesn’t have valid pace data there is no way to say whether the heart rate was below AeT threshold? Or do I misunderstand the Drift Test myself?

[1] https://uphillathlete.com/heart-rate-drift/

Inactive
    Anonymous on #36836

@death-jester: You are correct. If one of the variables stays constant (heart rate or pace), then you can calculate the change in the other.

So if the pace stays constant in a treadmill test, you can calculate the heart rate drift. If heart rate stayed constant (which is impossible), then you could calculate the drift in pace.

Although hard to measure, you can feel the latter in a long steady-state workout. If you start out and target a heart rate of “x” BPM, over a long enough timeline your pace will slow as the stress increases.

But it’s much easier to estimate it on a treadmill.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #36837

@brettthib: Okay, good.

That being the case, I think that the intensity was over AeT. If it was an AeT intensity, then after 20 minutes, HR shouldn’t rise as quickly and continuously as it did.

If you look at the very first and second 30′ of the test, the spread is 8.9%: 171 / 157.

I would do another test or you could use ~150 as AeT in the meantime.

Participant
    Brett on #36838

Thank you for your time, Scott. Will retest again next week with 150 as a target.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.