Heart rate during warmup period

• Creator
    Topic
    craigtay
    Participant

I’m on the 24 week mountaineer program, and I’m working through the base phase now.

For my aet runs, during warmup I am keeping my pace / breathing pretty light — however despite pretty easy effort, my heart rate spikes. After 10 minutes it drops and stays at aet the rest of the time

When I started the program, I had tried to manage my heart rate from the start of the run by slowing down to keep it lower. The problem I ran into is that my heartrate would drop and spike throughout the run, so I don’t think I was getting a proper warmup.

I decided I would just keep the overall effort low for the warmup, and to just check on my heartrate after about 10 minutes and I found that it stabilized. Is this the right approach? Should I try again to just keep my heart rate lower directly from the start, or is it OK to let it go a bit higher during warmup since the effort seems similar as during the run itself?

• Participant
    Dada on #51452

Same here. I think I noticed that this effect is more present when I had simple carbs prior to the workout. It’s not so bad when working out fasted or with complex carbs and fat prior to the training.

Participant
    Shashi on #51558

I am assuming you are using a chest strap to track HR.

You might find this forum discussion helpful.

For your next run maybe have a slower pace and a longer warm-up (15-20 minutes) and see if it makes any difference. Let us know.

Participant
    craigtay on #51572

Thank you for the reference, much appreciated

Inactive
    Anonymous on #53334

WHat Shashi said!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.