Heart Rate Drift – Laps instead of Slope

• Creator
    Topic
    leon.munich
    Participant

Hi there,

I am new to this forum, but recently bought a couple of books from uphill athlete.

Reading about the ADS, I found my self wondering whether this would be something I could be in risk of (or even in the middle of it).

I analysed a few of my longer, steady runs and found over time my heart rate does not really drift. My way to analyse this was to upload them to “graphmyrun” and see what the heart rate vs. pace does for splits of 2 or even 5 miles.

Basically, I can run at a given pace with my HR around 170bpm and see that the last 2 miles have the same average bpm (while also same pace) than the first 2 miles.

Now, from a data analysis perspective, I cannot see a reason why this would not indicate that my aerobic threshold is >170bpm right?

Maybe, I am overthinking this a little bit but would love to hear some more opinions on this.

I attach a few screenshots of the analyses, however the warm up is included (discard the first split)?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Participant
    Rachel on #51258

You’ll need an hour’s worth of data (after the warm-up) to really look at the drift and find that AeT. Also you’ll want to also do a field AnT test too, you don’t want to accidentally be working out at your AnT instead of AeT.

HR Drift test for AeT
    Anaerobic threshold test

Participant
    leon.munich on #51281

Hi Rachel,

thanks for the reply!

The total time of these workouts was almost 120minutes, I suppose that should be sufficient data?

What I am trying to figure out is where my AeT is to make sure I stay beneath it during training. From the data I have shown, can one conclude that it is above 157bpm?

Participant
    Rachel on #51285

Ahh, I didn’t pay close enough attention to the five mile split. Yes I think you can assume it’s higher than 157. You could definitely work with 160 to start or test at a higher starting HR like 165. Also if you can share a public link to the workout in the future it makes it easier for us to take a look, we like to see the HR & pace graphed for ease of analysis! 🙂

Participant
    leon.munich on #52058

Thanks Rachel!

I actually went out for trying out something new on Sunday. Although I have done a few long runs in the mountains, I never tried it on a flat surface… Well, here is how it went (see image).
    As you can see, my HR started to drift quite rapidly after mile 20 or so.
    You said a typical HR drift test should be done within an hour, but what does this long drift say about my metabolism etc?

Thanks a lot, maybe we can start an interesting discussion about HR in >20mile “races” here.

5mile min/mile min/5mile HR
    1st 8:38 43:12 155
    2nd 9:05 45:27 150
    3rd 8:52 44:18 152
    4th 8:59 44:57 154
    5th 9:28 47:19 159
    6th 10:04 50:18 158

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Participant
    Reed on #52088

Hi Leon – it looks like you’re able to sustain a 9min/mile pace at ~155bpm basically forever. That’s great! You’re clearly fit and those runs were well within your aerobic capacity, well below your aerobic threshold.

The cardiac drift that you’re seeing once you go beyond middle distances like 26.2 miles (hah!) is more indicative of fatigue than of your aerobic capacity. There are lots of things that affect your heart rate. Heat, hydration, fatigue, etc.

What are you training for? How much are you training (time, distance), and how much of that is this type of extensive endurance vs. strength training vs. higher-intensity work?

Participant
    leon.munich on #52115

Hi Reed,

thanks for the reply. I suppose I didnt know what timescale I should be looking at for cardiac drift.

My usual week looks like this: 2x longer workouts (2h running or 2-4h road cycling) usually below 150bpm (75% of max), 2x shorter ones (1-2h run/bike with some nice intervals, going up to 190bpm and rarely all out) and when I find time I usually go out once a week to pay a visit to the mountains (>6000 vert feet in moderate pace, somewhere around 2000feet per hour). If it helps, I can do 40min on a 10k and usually cruise around 33km/h on my bike (in the flats)

I am actually lacking a good hill to do some longer hill/vert workouts nearby, I can do hill sprints (<30secs) but not much more around here…

Is the fitness I am building up doing running/cycling in flats actually going to help in some mountain running? Not really into races, but like to move fast in the mountains to cover more distance.

Anyway, I suppose I should take a couple of days off.. after that 47km run on sunday, my body didnt want to do more than 15km today… started to get dizzy and felt my body screaming to stop… so thats what I did and hopped into the next bus to go where i was going.

Long story short: I suppose this drift test should not be applied to marathon running for non-marathon runners like me 😀

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.