General strength and volume training questions

• Creator
    Topic
    juskojj
    Participant

So the uphill book for general strength says warm up do core and then work out. But the core exercises are plank, windshield, kayaker and trunk rotation but in Scott’s he includes more exercises. Which ones should I be focusing on?
    Also for general strength the book hits box step ups, step down, push ups, pull ups, front lunges but in the PDF you can download it has more like Turkish get ups, split squats, dips. Which ones should I focus on or should I mix the exercises up?

As for volume, im in my 40s and the book recommends 350hrs a year, so that’s 7hrs a week in 50 weeks. I’m a dad of a young family and going back to work soon so how am I supposed to spend time with my kids and family if im working a full time job and doing 7hrs a week in workouts? I know its individual adjusting but what’s realistic to maintain strength and not slip into getting ads again? I almost have my AeT within 10% of my AnT, I just don’t want to loose the progress I’ve made since its taken me about 6months to get where I’m at and I’ve been off work for the past year and now that I’m starting a new job in a few weeks I’ve been lucky to get in 3 to 5hrs of training in.

I’m thinking if I can get 45min of a workout in before work at least 3 to 4 times Monday through Friday then 1 or 2 workouts on the weekend that would give me 3 to 4hrs a week in. Is that enough? Better than nothing that’s for sure!

Thanks!

• Participant
    Shashi on #52545

The Core workouts demonstrated by Scott in this video is a good starting point. Since you have been training for some time now, if you are comforable you can do Scott’s Killer Core Routine

General Strength – you can do all the workouts in the pdf available here.

Congratulations on making progress with your AeT. You don’t need the same level of volume to maintain AeT/fitness. You might find this forum discussion helpful.

I’m thinking if I can get 45min of a workout in before work at least 3 to 4 times Monday through Friday then 1 or 2 workouts on the weekend that would give me 3 to 4hrs a week in. Is that enough?

Depends on your goals and timeline. Check out this article on Dreams/Goals.

With a family and a full-time job it is challenging to find time to train. But, when I read what individuals like Luke Nelson and Olga Dobranowski has achieved, it is super motivating.

Hope this is helpful.

Participant
    russes011 on #52549

Is biking or jogging to work an option? If so, this could dramatically increase your training volume without adding any time to your week. Also, splitting your core and strength training into several, smaller micro-workouts throughout the day could also eliminate this time requirement. Best of luck.

Participant
    juskojj on #52555

If I didn’t have to get my kids from school I’d do the work gig, it’s like 10miles from the house!

I didn’t think of the micro workouts just because i took it to be done all at once, but micro is still better than nothing to get it in. My new job has a workout room I’m going to be checking out too.

My ultimate goal is still awhile out like another year or more, I do have some mini goals that are less strenuous in a shorter time frame.

I did an AeT test this morning and I’m really close to my 10%, I was 5.9% the AeT test for 170bpm which would have been well in my 10% range, i only need 167bpm to be right at 10%, so I think I might actually be there.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #53706

As for volume, im in my 40s and the book recommends 350hrs a year, so that’s 7hrs a week in 50 weeks. I’m a dad of a young family and going back to work soon so how am I supposed to spend time with my kids and family if im working a full time job and doing 7hrs a week in workouts?

Everyone has constraints, even professionals. These are yours, so you’ll have to adjust. Any recommendation for X or Y volume isn’t written in stone, and the sky won’t fall if you don’t get it done. Just do what you can and most importantly, make sure it’s at the right intensity: super easy to maintain your base.

I know it’s individual adjusting but what’s realistic to maintain strength and not slip into getting ads again?

A lower level of activity won’t have you slip into ADS unless you try and “make up for it” with higher intensity.

I’m starting a new job in a few weeks I’ve been lucky to get in 3 to 5hrs of training in.

A typical approach is shorter sessions during the week and longer sessions on the weekend.

I’m thinking if I can get 45min of a workout in before work at least 3 to 4 times Monday through Friday then 1 or 2 workouts on the weekend that would give me 3 to 4hrs a week in. Is that enough? Better than nothing that’s for sure!

Again, just do what you can. When I started working with my fastest client, he was only doing 2x 45m during his work week (as an MD), and then longer days on the weekend. Consistency is way more important than brute volume, so more consistent shorter sessions are better than cramming it into one day.

Participant
    juskojj on #53707

Scott,
    Thanks a bunch! I’m assuming zone 2 is ok if not with in 10% otherwise zone 1 but I also know zone 1 is good regardless: )

Participant
    LindsayTroy on #53754

Also for general strength the book hits box step ups, step down, push ups, pull ups, front lunges but in the PDF you can download it has more like Turkish get ups, split squats, dips. Which ones should I focus on or should I mix the exercises up?

I just want to throw in, depending on which book you’re looking at (I’m most familiar with training for the new alpinism) all those exercises are included

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.