Clarification sought on few things in TftNA

• Creator
    Topic
    dmitmf
    Participant

Hi, All, I’d like to get clarification on the couple of specific aspects in the book.

In the section on building one’s training plan for weeks 9-16 the suggested tasks include “Begin Muscular Endurance 1-2 times a week” and also “One short zone 3 session” and “Two long zone 1 sessions”. Are these separate sessions or they refer to the same thing? In other words, if I’m doing weighted hill climb in zone 1, does that constitute one of the “long zone 1” session”

Another question is on recommended percentages. Do these account for only aerobic sessions or everything is included, such as strength sessions and climbing?

Thanks,
    Dmitry

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #38913

Which book? TftNA or TftUA?

Are these separate sessions or they refer to the same thing? In other words, if I’m doing weighted hill climb in zone 1, does that constitute one of the “long zone 1” session”

Separate. In an ME session, heart rate may be low, but the local intensity in the legs will be high. Because of the latter, it counts as Z3, not Z1.

Another question is on recommended percentages. Do these account for only aerobic sessions or everything is included, such as strength sessions and climbing?

Usually, it’s everything included. If you can reference the book and page number, then I can take a closer look. The only volume that may not be included might be technical climbing practice. But again, I can look and confirm if I know the page number(s).

Participant
    dmitmf on #38961

Hi, Scott, thank you for your response. The question is about Training for the New Alpinism. I use a Kindle version, so do not have page numbers, i am referring to the table titled “Base Period Training Tasks for Weeks 9–16” in Chapter 8.

Dmitry

Inactive
    Anonymous on #39276

Okay, I finally got back to this. Thanks for your patience.

The ME session(s) would be included in the 10% of volume for the week.

I would include approaches in the total training time, but only a small percentage of the technical climbing time. There’s too much standing around at belays for it to count as training (although it will contribute to fatigue).

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.