Bimalleolar fracture

• Creator
    Topic
    May
    Participant

Hi,

Last January I suffered a bimalleolar fracture in my right ankle while out running, up until that point I had been running, hiking and climbing regularly. I had also started mountaineering in the Alps, which I am keen to get back to after Covid.

The surgery went well, and I now have some screws and a plate holding my ankle together. I have been through physio, and was discharged in November.

I got back to light running c13 weeks after the operation and took up cycling and swimming, but have had limited opportunity recently for hiking and climbing due to covid. I have no pain normally, however if I have a long run I will hobble about for the rest of the day.

I am extremely grateful that I am able to participate in sports again, however I am not particularly sure on what to do next as I feel that I have plateaued.

I would really appreciate the views of anyone who has had a similar injury and what they found helpful.

Thanks

Posted In: Injury & Rehab

Thomas Summer, MD on #52813

Hi May!

any plans on removing the screws and plate?

Participant
    Pete Dickinson MS,PT on #52821

Yes, ankles hate hardware for running or having a boot on them!! Be patient, it takes a long time with slow progressions. Watch out for over reaching on long runs, I’d recommend manipulating the intensity and time to see if you can create less hobbling afterwards.
    Cheers,
    Pete

Participant
    May on #52823

Hi Thomas, Pete,

Thank you so much for your replies.

There has been no recent discussion regarding taking them out, my memory from a year ago is that they would only take them out if I had a problem (I live in the UK) and I wasn’t sure if my poor running would be enough. Sounds like this is maybe worth a further conversation with my doctor, I’ll try varying my running and being a bit more patient 🙂

Thank you again,

May

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.