Another AeT test question

• Creator
    Topic
    ecpickler
    Participant

I performed my first AeT test mid January and tested out with an AeT heart rate of 130 (130 average first half of drift test, 136 second half for drift of 4.6%). Since then, I have diligently spent many hours hiking, walking on treadmill, or climbing stairs in zones 1 and 2. I retested today with the drift test on the same treadmill (10% incline). This time I have average HR 142 in first half and 146 in second half for 2.8% drift. I am using a chest strap for tracking my heart rate. So my questions:

1. What is the best number to use for my current AeT? Or should I repeat the test?
    2. If my AeT is now in the 140’s, is it typical to see this much increase in AeT after 6 weeks? And if the answer is yes, I assume I would not expect increases in my AeT like this again as I will plateau.

Prior to reading TFTNA, I participated in much HIIT training for my general fitness. My ultimate goal is Kilimanjaro in August 2020, and I have switched from interval training to working on my aerobic base while continuing some strength training before I start the 16 week UA mountaineering plan in earnest.

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #39237

1. What is the best number to use for my current AeT? Or should I repeat the test?

Don’t fixate on a single-digit BPM number. Heart rates aren’t that accurate. It’s safe to say that the low-140s is your aerobic threshold right now. You could use 145 as an upper limit.

2. If my AeT is now in the 140’s, is it typical to see this much increase in AeT after 6 weeks?

Yes, but it depends on many factors:

1. Response from the individual;
    2. Total sub-AeT training volume;
    3. Amount of HIIT training (the less the better when repairing the aerobic system);
    4. Fasted training (some may help);
    5. Whether training by pace (preferred) or heart rate (more convenient).

And if the answer is yes, I assume I would not expect increases in my AeT like this again as I will plateau.

We don’t have enough information to say. It depends on how bad your ADS is. Search the site for our DIY anaerobic threshold test. When you know the gap between your AnT and AeT, then you’ll know how much you can expect.

It’s reasonable to expect to close the gap within 10%. Depending on the individual and training, 5% is not uncommon among highly trained athletes.

Participant
    Reed on #39238

Sounds like your low-intensity training has been valuable! Good work. The first experience I had with structured endurance training, my anaerobic threshold increased to 191bpm from 172bpm, and I think (don’t have accurate data) my aerobic threshold (AeT) increased to 173bpm from ~145bpm. This was over the course of three months.

Using ~145bpm for your AeT seems like a pretty safe bet. You may see further adaptation in the form of an increased heart rate at AeT, but that will level off at some point. The more important factor, though, is the output or speed at AeT, which should offer years of continued improvement.

Participant
    ecpickler on #39292

Thank you for your input. This is very helpful.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.