Always Forward

• Creator
    Topic
    kmiess9
    Participant

Hi all,

I am very new to this website and this culture. My name is Kyle. I am a former firefighter/paramedic. I am currently active duty Navy. I was in the recon corpsman pipeline. I got injured going through BRC my first attempt 6 months ago. 2 weeks ago I got injured again. I was diagnosed with a concussion, rhabdo and acute kidney failure. I am in the recovery process now and struggling through the mental aspects of the concussion and disappointment. I am writing this because I want to move forward. It is still my goal to work within operational medicine, whether that be with the military, fire service or with the IC. With my goals still in mind I am looking to improve all aspects of my fitness, mentally, physically, and spiritually. I may try for the SOF community again or I may not, but I want to be ready. There is something that draws me to the idea of being an uphill athlete it seems I am always in an uphill battle. I think this is what also draws me to learning more about the mountaineering culture. I think the journey and process of what it takes to go up a mountain is more important than the summit. I want to make the mountains my home but I have no experience with them. I look forward to learning from you all. If there is anyone in the southern California area, I would love to meet and talk with you. If there is anyone in the military I would love to connect with you also. I am in the process of picking up the book: training for the new alpinism. But I do not have very many funds being an E3 and I spent it all trying to prepare for selection. So please forgive my ignorance until I pick up the book. If you read this far thank you for your time.

God Bless and very respectfully,

Kyle

• Participant
    TerryLui on #23700

Hi Kyle,
    Welcome and thank you for sharing! I believe you’ll find TftNA a worthwhile resource.

I’ve always found being in the hills to be healing in every way (physical, mental, emotional, spiritual…as you mentioned), having a process driven mindset is also a great position to be in for personal & skill development.
    Wishing you all the best as you explore this new world of mountain pursuits!

Inactive
    Anonymous on #23711

Kyle:

Welcome to the Uphill Athlete community. Sounds like you’ve really had a tough go lately. You do not need to be rich to join us. Just curious. There are over 240 free articles on this website that will help inform the direction you want to take to get healthy and back into form. The forum is also a great resource to search and ask questions.

Steve and I have done extensive work with the Special Forces community. A few of our coaches have coached SF operators through the various selection processes.

We’ll soon be adding a tactical training element to the Uphill Athlete webiste with training articles and training plans.

In your case it sounds like your first priority must be to get healthy. Concussions are not to be trifled with and rhabdo is a very serious condition usually caused by too much heavy/high intensity work in the weight room. You need to be well clear of either of those before you embark on any training program. In the interim I suggest light aerobic exercise of multiple modes. Low intensity aerobic work has a restorative effect and will assist in the healing process.

Good luck,
    Scott

Inactive
    Anonymous on #23729

Kyle,

Hate to see the number of obstacles you’re dealing with, but inspiring to hear that you have every intention of carrying on. I work within SOF human performance on the Air Force side of the house as well as with Steve and Scott on tactical uphill athlete training. If you’re in need of training assistance, advice, or direction, I’d be happy to help. Feel free to reach out.

Cheers,
    Drew

Participant
    kmiess9 on #23767

Thank you all! The responses have been very encouraging. Drew, what would be the best way to contact you sir?

Inactive
    Anonymous on #23817

Email is fine with me. Drewdhammond@gmail.com

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.