Alternative to “Nose Breathing” for AeT

• Creator
    Topic
    endy.devlyn
    Participant

I’m planning on doing my first AeT treadmill test using the steps outlined on the UA site in the coming days. I’ve read in a number of threads that “nose breathing” is not recommended to determine the pace/intensity for the test. Can someone clarify what should be used instead? Thanks!

• Participant
    Jan on #30291

I copied this from multiple pages of this site, I hope it is clear anyway:

Set treadmill to 10% and begin hiking slowly. If training for flatter runs, set treadmill to 3% and run. Gradually build speed over the first 10–15 minutes until your heart rate stabilizes at what you FEEL is an easy aerobic effort. If you have a good idea of what your AeT is, then target that heart rate for the beginning of the test. NOW YOU ARE READY TO BEGIN THE TEST.
    NOTE: If hiking, you may need to use a steeper grade (10%+) in order to get your heart rate up sufficiently.
    VERY IMPORTANT: Once that speed and grade are dialed in, do not adjust them again during the test. Run or hike continuously for 60 minutes at this speed. Record your heart rate and upload it to TrainingPeaks.

* Stay on the treadmill for at least 30?-60? (the longer, the more reliable the test);
    * Record the workout, pressing the lap button halfway through;
    * When you’re done, divide the average heart rate of the second half by the average heart rate of the first;
    * Lastly, subtract one and multiply by 100 to get the percentage HR drift.
    For example, if (2nd_half_HR) / (1st_half_HR) = 1.091, then the drift was 9.1%.

AeT is where the drift is at about 5 %.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #30315

Post your results after the test and I can help estimate your AeT. If you’re well below or way above 5% drift, we can guess-timate what heart rate to use going forward.

Participant
    endy.devlyn on #30338

Thanks, Scott and Jan. I will take the input and circle back after I complete the test.

Participant
    Mariner_9 on #30360

When dividing 1H and 2H heart rate should you ignore/remove the first 10-15 mins during which time HR stabilizes?

Participant
    Jan on #30361

Yes, ignore the warm-up time.

Participant
    Mariner_9 on #30471

Thanks, Jan.

And re: “AeT is where the drift is at about 5 %” – does this mean the 2H average HR is the AeT threshold?

Participant
    Jan on #30475

Aerobic Threshold would be the average HR of the first half.

For example:

You try to stay at 145 and manage to get that as average HR on the first 30 minutes of the test. On the second half you have a average HR of 152.

Divide the average heart rate of the second half by the average heart rate of the first, substract 1 and multiply by 100. You have a drift of 4,8 %, which is close enough to 5 %. So your AeT is 145.

Participant
    Mariner_9 on #30476

Thanks for the clarification.

Participant
    endy.devlyn on #34326

Hi All-

I finally got around to doing a proper AeT Threshold test, using the Heart Rate Drift method on a flat track. I could use some help in confirming I am interpreting the results correctly – see attached. I am estimating my AeT ~ 155 bpm.

I don’t have a premium TP account, so used a manual calculation of Pa:HR for both the first and second half of the test.

Open to any and all thoughts/interpretations or other suggestions.

Thanks!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.