60% weekend weekly volume

• Creator
    Topic
    tom.1990
    Participant

Hi all,

I’ve tried to find some clarification on the forums but to no avail. In the tftuha book, for cat 2 runner early base period, it recommends doing 60% weekly vert over two back to back runs 20% and 40% respectively.

Is this applicable to distance and/or time? As I won’t be able to get in much vert during isolation.

Thanks

Tom

Posted In: Mountain Running

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #40044

Good question. I can’t give you an exact answer because it really depends on the terrain. In general, I usually default to time because that includes both distance and elevation gain in a very general sense.

However, if your indoors and on a treadmill, then I would pick one or the other. If your goal event is steep, go by elevation gain. If it’s lower angle, then distance may be more appropriate.

Participant
    tom.1990 on #40052

Hey Scott,

Thanks for the reply and information. I think time might be best for the local undulating trails I have nearby, hopefully by the specific weeks isolation will be more relaxed and I can get to some elevation.

On that note, for early base period, i would do 20% weekly time and 40% weekly time on the last two training days of the week, however during intensity weeks would it be prudent to move the 20% day to mid week instead, due to added intensity load?

Inactive
    Anonymous on #40074

Good question. The key principle is to be recovered for the key sessions. There are benefits to back-to-back long workouts, but if you’re not recovering, then feel free to use a different schedule until you can.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.